Six people are in the hospital from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning at a northwest Houston apartment. Meanwhile, a seventh person was pronounced dead at the scene from the fumes, according to the Houston Fire Department.
Firefighters said they found a generator inside when they were called to the Vintage Apartments at 6500 West 43rd, which is located along the US-290 Northwest Freeway, around 11 a.m. Thursday.
Officials said all seven victims are adults in their 20s and 30s.
“It’s not a gas smell, it’s a suspicious odor,” firefighters reported on emergency radio traffic.
At last check, three people were in critical condition.
Firefighters could not immediately say whether storm-related power outages were tied to the incident.
Carbon monoxide fumes come from items like cars, trucks, small engines, stoves, fireplaces and generators.
Your best defense against illness is a carbon monoxide detector because the gas is odorless, so when you start feeling the symptoms, it may already be too late.
Symptoms include headache, dizziness, and vomiting.
Earlier today @HoustonFire responded to 6500 W 43rd for a carbon monoxide poisoning. HFD arrived to find one fatality. HFD transported 6 citizens to a nearby ER. Hazardous Materials team did respond. Crews did find a generator inside the apt. @FireChiefofHFD
— Houston Fire Dept (@HoustonFire) June 23, 2023