The man accused of killing Grammy-winning rapper “Takeoff” wants his bond reduced from $2 million to $100,000, according to a motion filed Monday.
Patrick Clark, 33, is charged with murder for the shooting death of Kirsnick Khari Ball, known professionally as Takeoff, a member of the hip-hop trio, Migos.
Ball was shot to death in the early morning hours of Nov. 1 outside a bowling alley in downtown Houston. Police said he was in a crowd of people and an innocent bystander near an argument over a dice game.
Clark was arrested on Dec. 1. His next court appearance is Wednesday, during which his defense attorney, Letitia Quinones, plans to ask for a lower bond.
“It is extremely excessive. We did some research and what we determined was the average median income for a citizen in Harris County is around $60,000-$65,000. So, the bond as it is set now would take four years to raise the money required,” Quinones told reporters. “Additionally, defendants similarly situated as Mr. Clark does not have $2 million.”
In the motion, Quinones said Clark would surrender his passport and that his father would ensure he appears in court.
The state asked for a high bond, saying Clark was a flight risk who planned to flee to Mexico when he was arrested. Prosecutors believe he is also a danger to the community.
According to the motion, Clark, who flaunts a lavish lifestyle on social media, is a student at Houston Community College and a disc jockey.
“No matter how you look at it, this is a tragedy,” Quinones said.
In a search warrant released last week, police cited video and forensic evidence that led to the murder charge against Clark.